Mental Health – Fact or False?
See how many of these 10 statistics on mental health trends you can answer correctly. Are these statements facts…or fiction? Read through each one and take your best guess. You might be surprised by the answers! (Answers below – with descriptions)
- 1/2 of all chronic mental illness happens before age 14. 3/4, happening by age 25.
- Depression is the leading cause of disability worldwide.
- 90% of state prisoners have a recent mental health history.
- 20% of those who die by suicide have an underlying mental condition.
- 60% of adults with mental illness have not received professional help in the last year.
- 1 in 200 Americans live with Schizophrenia.
- 8% of youth have an anxiety disorder.
- The average delay between onset of symptoms and treatment is 8-10 years.
- Out-of-control or risk-taking behavior is NOT a warning sign.
- Suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death in youth between 10-24 years old.
- FICTION – Only 24% of state prisoners have a recent mental health history.
- FICTION – 90% of those who die by suicide have a mental condition they battle with.
- FICTION- 1 in 100 Americans live with schizophrenia…a much smaller ratio!
- FICTION- Risk-taking and out of control behavior is a huge warning sign of an underlying mental health issue that should be treated.
*Bringing awareness to these trends, among others, is so important. More people than we realize struggle each day with their own condition, diagnosed or not. Let’s start speaking up, lending a listening ear, and helping one another be healthy! #10 was probably the most shocking to me. Suicide should never be the answer, let alone for someone so young. For more information and statistics, click the resource below.