Crisis Resources & Hotlines – help is everywhere!
The two numbers I always use as a Recreational Therapist to give to my patients at work are:
- Crisis Hotline: 800.273.TALK (National Suicide Prevention Hotline)
- Crisis Textline 741-741
Both of these are really great resources to utilize if you or someone you know need a listening ear. These could save a life! Plug them into your phone and save them, that way you always have them handy. It’s always important to prepare for a crisis situation.
Other useful crisis phone numbers are:
- (800) 799.SAFE (Domestic Violence Hotline)
- (800) 622-2255 (National Counsel on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence)
- (800) 422-4453 (Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline)
- (800) 931-2237 (Eating Disorders Awareness and Prevention)
- (800) 230-PLAN (Planned Parenthood Hotline)
- (800) 656-HOPE (Rape, Sexual Assault, and Incest National Network – RAINN)
- (800) 262-2463 (National Helpline for Substance Abuse)
Useful crisis websites include:
I hope you find this helpful! Again, I strongly encourage writing these numbers or storing them in your phone in an emergency situation. I even created an image for you all to save with the numbers on it (right)!!! When you or someone you know are feeling hopeless/helpless, the last thing you are going to be compelled to do it go online and do the research yourself. So do yourself a favor and save these for when you or a loved one needs it. The reality is, we all need help from time to time, we just need the courage to ask for it and the strength to accept it. Once we do that, there are hundreds of people and resources established specifically to do just that – HELP!